Sunday, August 31, 2008

George Bush Made Me Do It

I'm going to be a hot commodity over the next 60 days. As a registered Independent I represent that small group of undecided voters that both political campaigns are spending millions to swing. In my lifetime I have voted for both Republicans, Democrats and a few Independents too. I like to vote the person, not the party. Despite the rhetoric, if we really sat down and looked at the historical facts we would all realize that no one party has the corner market on all of the good ideas, or all of the BAD ideas either. Each has plenty of both, so I get a little annoyed when both parties point their finger at the other and tell voters how bad they are. I feel like I'm back in kindergarten.

So, I decided that it was my civic duty to listen to Obama give his acceptance speech this week. I liked a lot about what he had to say and enjoyed his message of hope, of working together and of trying to do our best. But I had to laugh each time he talked about how the Country, the economy, and any parking tickets you may have had are a direct result of "the failed policies of George W. Bush." As if George Bush was some kind of a wizard who shot lighting out of a magic wand. That's a pretty immature view of how our government works. True, the Presidency is a powerful office. But that's exactly why the founding fathers diluted that power to 1/3. But presidential campaigns rarely bring that up, rather they would have us believe that one person is responsible for all of the worlds woes.

So I'm going to conduct a little experiment for the entire month of September to see if Obama is right. For one entire month I am going to blame George W. Bush for everything. "Uhhh Mr. Nielsen, can you tell me why you were going 55 in a 35 MPH school zone?" Why yes officer, I was speeding because of the failed policies of George W. Bush. "Hello Mr. Nielsen, this is the library calling to see if you have returned those books that are overdue?" Well, I would have returned them but I couldn't, because of the failed policies of George W. Bush. It sounds ridiculous when you think about it, and I hope that Americans are too smart to fall for it, from EITHER party.

So my friends, I share this little tidbit with you. In January 2009 either McCain or Obama will be our next President. And despite the hysteria, the absurd rhetoric and finger pointing from both parties, things are going to be ok. Seriously. The sun will still rise in the morning, the bus will still arrive to pick the kids up from school and the same bills that have been arriving in the mail for years will still keep coming. The good news is that for the next four years we will have someone entirely new to blame for it!



4 comments:

GS Wilson said...

When you get pulled over, it would also help to use a "Bush-ism" in your explination. Officer, I cannot be blamed for this speed-ification....

Katrina said...

I feel for President Bush. Kinda like Dr.s of old, there used to be a lot of respect with the job. Either way, they are setting themselves up for one of THE hardest jobs out there.

Take a look at pics before and after each President in office. Each term ages them about 10 years. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/popup?id=4205015

I need a president who believes in Prayer, because man, they are gonna need it!

Abigail said...

where have you been? I miss you! I no longer work at Blackbottom's so any email you may have previously sent me I did not get. Email me from now on at abbeydaw@yahoo.com I really hope you will return one day to class, even if its just to say hi before hand and you leave. This is not fun for me anymore! Are we friends!?

Anonymous said...

In times like these, may I suggest blaming EVERYTHING on the Republicans? Not just your boy Georgie. How about the GOP as a whole?